Welcome to The Friends of Brechin Town House Museum Website.

The Ancient Cathedral City of Brechin is in Angus, Scotland.

 FriendsHistory Oral HistoryMuseum Events Shop Join Us ReportContacts



History        The Tolbooth Jail


The building replaced an earlier Tolbooth or 'Towbood', first mentioned in 1480. After repairs were carried out in both the 16th & 17th Centuries, the Town House developed into the familiar arrangement of courtroom and jail cells on the ground floor, with the upper floor used by the council and bailies.

The Town House was completely rebuilt by public subscription in 1789 - 90.  It remained at the centre of burgh life with the courtroom and debtors prison as previously laid out, and an elegantly proportioned upper chamber boasting a fine 'Serlio' or Venetian window, overlooking the Cross.

The galleried room was called the Guild Hall of Brechin and was used primarily as a council chamber, but was also a venue for exhibitions and a reading room.